Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mayo Clinic Tour

actual horse-drawn Mayo ambulance, circa 1905



We have visitors this week which means we are trying our best to show off Rochester. A cool new thing we did with them was the Mayo Clinic Tour. From the website:


Mayo Clinic offers a free guided tour for patients and their guests while they are at Mayo. The tour includes a 20-minute historical film about Mayo Clinic, followed by a 1 1/2-hour walking tour of the downtown campus. The tour is offered at 10 a.m., Monday through Friday. Children must be accompanied by an adult. The tour begins in Judd Auditorium, in the subway level of the Mayo Building.


I learned many fascinating things during this tour, about medicine and the ways the Mayo brothers revolutionized it. Thanks to the subway system downtown, you don't go outside during the tour, so it is perfect any time of year. It is also stroller friendly (although I think I could have paid better attention if I had left my one year old with a friend!). I am still hoping to try out Mayo's Art Tour, and also go back to visit their Heritage Hall Museum in the Mayo Building.

No comments: